In 1932 Ed Coe started Ed Coe Floral and Seed Store in the Sheldon Munn Hotel. In 1934, he changed to flowers and plants and went into business with his sister, Mrs. Edna Coe Maute. Ed’s son Paul and his wife Julia became partners in the store in 1937. Julia opened and managed a gift and flower shop in Campus Town in 1938 until 1956. In 1955 Paul Coe became a salesman for the Rock of Ages Monumental Service, and the business began selling Monuments.
In 1957, Paul and Julia bought a house—the former location of Packer’s Tea Room—at 517 Grand Avenue and moved the business off Main Street.
David Coe entered the business in 1961 after attending Iowa State and a florist school. From 1961 to 1976, he worked with Paul and Julia in the business and purchased it in 1976. In 1984, he added a Campus Town location and in 1985, sold the 517 Grand house. In 1999, Dave Coe sold the Campus Town location to Gerald Stevens, a national floral company that also owned Boesen’s in Des Moines. In 2001, Boesen’s purchased the business. The next owner, Daniel Brabec, purchased the business on March 22, 2002. He broke ground on a new location in Somerset, August 2004, and opened the new store on December 28th, 2004.
- Ed Coe started the Ed Coe Floral & Seed Store
- Ed Coe changed to flowers and plants and went into business with his sister
- Ed Coe’s son Paul and his wife Julia become partners
- Julia opened and managed a gift and flower shop in Campus Town
- Paul Coe became a salesman for Rock of Ages Monumental Service
- The business moved to 517 Grand
- David Coe entered the business and worked with Paul and Julia until 1976
- Dave Coe purchased the business
- Dave Coe added a Campus Town location
- Dave Coe sold the 517 Grand location and moved to Campus Town
- The store was sold to Gerald Stevens, a national floral company
- Boesen’s purchased the business
- Daniel Brabec purchased the business
- New store opened in Somerset at 2619 Northridge Parkway
New store owner, Marlene Thompson